Tuesday, November 20, 2007

"Best Kept Secret in Music"



I feel fairly confident in saying that most of the bands out there that are unsigned or relegated to a teeny tiny indie label are there for a reason - they pretty much appeal to no one (including the band members themselves).

Then there are scads of groups out there selling millions with about as much musical savvy as a lip syncing act at a middle school talent show (Look at me when I'm talking to you Maroon 5!).

Lastly, there are those few musicians who genuinely deserve a far bigger audience then they currently have.

With that in mind, here's a new feature I want to try out: "Best Kept Secrets in Music".

Today's entry is Baltimore's J-Roddy Walston and The Business (thanks Dorie for tipping me off to these guys). Sounding like a cross between a "Shake Your Money Maker"-era Black Crowes (when they knew how to smile), a butcher version of Queen and Ben Folds with a full backing band and a fistful of Lexapro, this band plays straight ahead rock that would make Elvis fall to his knees and weep tears of joy.

Anyone have a band to suggest?

On that note, hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. If is possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll, I thank. Good bye friend.

The Professor said...

You should feel proud that you're getting spam in a different language now. I don't know why, but I feel like it's a higher level of spam when people who don't even speak your language want you to add their Web virus to your page...

on another note, you know the drill. Lend me the CD when you're back in the office please. :)

The Professor said...

So, after having listened to the J Roddy CD over two days (it did take that long - who puts out an hour CD any more?) I have to say that I enjoy them. It's a bit different than what I usually listen to but I was able to rock out to the sound...well, as much as you can in a cubical, anyway. :)

Anonymous said...

J-Roddy rocks my face off. And I'm glad to see you feel the same way. They're at the Star Bar tonight in L5P. Wooot!

--Dorie