Wednesday, October 24, 2007

God and the Rock Star, Pt. II


As a follow up to my entry a week or two ago about young punks and headbangers who start bands as an outlet for their religious fervor, here's a somewhat related piece on rockers who find God after success.

In doing a handful of interviews recently with some of the bands I was really into in the 90's, I've started to run into a number of rockers who have suddenly "found God".

The Smoking Popes
The reason the Popes broke up years ago was because singer Josh Caterer decided to embrace Christianity. Not just show up at church every now and then, but "I'm-going-to-quit-rock-and-everything-it-stands-for, turning- my-back-on-everything-I've-created"kind of embrace. A great band cut down way too early.
A couple years ago, the band decided to get back together to play a handful of shows and record a live album. In the interview I asked Josh about the whole God thing and he said he simply wasn't happy with all the drugs and drinking that surrounded the band. He became born again and quit rock music all together for awhile, focusing on religious tunes (never bothered to check them out - read God and The Rock Star, Pt. 1 for my feelings on Christian music). He slowly got back into rock through a new band Duvall, then finally realized God probably doesn't hate good music and got the band back together. I caught one of their come back shows at The Masquerade in Atlanta last year and they were amazing (though Josh did take the opportunity to preach once or twice from the mic. You could see how uncomfortable it made the others in the band).

OK, this one took me by surprise. The Knoxville power pop band turned out a slew of brilliant records in the 90's and early 00's. (Though "Sucked Out" is the only song people remember. Go figure.) I found out they were doing the reunion tour thing, as well (which, by the way makes me feel old as shit). In doing research for the interview, I discivered front man John Davis had another one of those spiritual awakenings that seem to be going around, again thanks to booze. Copying off of Josh's paper, he also started working exclusively on Christian songs. I finally spoke with John recently and he was super cool, but I chickened out and didn't ask him about embracing God (so no big answers for you. Sorry). By the way, he strating to rock again, as well.


Couple of weaker examples:

Korn guitarist Brian Welch
In his case, I think he's just using his sudden spiritual awakening and cult-like new life as an easy excuse to walk away from a truly crappy band.


Alice Cooper
The same guy who used to guillotine himself on stage in the 70's is now a golfer, PTA dad and (gulp) Republican. He's also found Jesus. Again, in this case, I think he woke up one day and realized that he was a washed up irrelevant former rocker whose biggest accomplishment was playing "School's Out" on an episode of the Muppet show. Devil horns for the shock rocker!

So after much thought on the issue, I am left with one of two answers to the question of why rockers turn to Jesus:

1. Years of hard partying and meaningless groupie sex makes you search for a deeper meaning.
Or...
2. God is actually a roadie, converting the masses, one musician at a time.

Any thoughts?

No comments: